ARMY AR 190-40
SERIOUS INCIDENT REPORT
|Publication Date:||9 February 2006|
This regulation applies to the Active Army, the Army National Guard of the United States/Army National Guard, and the United States Army Reserve, unless stated otherwise.
This regulation prescribes responsibilities and updates policy and procedures for reporting serious incidents within the Department of the Army (DA).
The Serious Incident Report (SIR) system-
(1) Provides early notice to Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA) that a serious incident has occurred or may have occurred.
(2) Provides the chain of command with timely information to respond to queries from Department of Defense (DOD), news media, and others.
(3) Meets law enforcement reporting requirements for selected criminal incidents and provides law enforcement personnel such as the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) the most current information available.
(4) Is not designed to be used for statistical comparison of commands.
(5) Is not intended to include reporting of all criminal acts.