Test Procedures for Electric Energy Storage Equipment and Systems for Electric Power Systems Applications
|Publication Date:||30 September 2016|
The test items and procedures of electric energy storage equipment and systems (ESS) for electric power system (EPS) applications, including type test, production test, installation evaluation, commissioning test at site, and periodic tests are as follows:
- Type tests covering all necessary test items of ESS applied in EPSs
- Production tests, including quality inspection and test of ESS before shipment
- Installation evaluation shall be carried out after field installation of ESS
- Commissioning tests shall be carried out on site when the field installation of ESS are complete and before they are officially put into operation
- Periodic tests shall be periodically carried out after ESS are officially applied in the EPS.
ESS can either be a single piece of equipment with all functions or an integrated set of equipment with specific functions. A single piece of equipment shall go through type tests, production tests, installation evaluation, and commissioning tests as a whole. Each piece of an integrated set of equipment shall go through type tests and production tests based on its specific function, and then the whole set of equipment shall go through the installation evaluation and commissioning tests after field assembly and integration of the equipment.
Despite of the fact that ESS applied in EPS are at the discharging state (acting as power sources) or at charging state (acting as load), they shall comply with the planning and operation requirements of the grid. This standard aims to provide the test items and test procedures for ESS applied in EPSs to verify whether the relevant characteristic parameters of the integrated ESS are in accordance with the technical requirements of the EPS, as follows:
- The type test is the first step for the integration test of ESS, generally used to verify the design principle and the design rating of the product, and reflect the operation condition of the product.
- Production tests include the quality inspection and test of the ESS before shipment, which is used to verify whether the manufacturing quality and deviation meet the specific requirements.
- Installation evaluation is the inspection and evaluation of the outer connection of ESS, grounding, isolation, electrical connection correctness, etc. This shall be carried out after field installation of ESS.
- Commissioning tests shall be carried out on site when field installations of ESS are complete and before they are officially put into operation. These tests aim to verify whether the technical indexes of ESS are in accordance with the operation requirements after delivery and installation.
- Periodic tests aim to inspect operation safety and reliability of ESS, which shall be periodically carried out after ESS have been officially applied in EPSs.
The measured and analyzed results of each test obtained by applying the standard shall be repeatable, traceable, and independent from the test environment and location. The test results can provide meaningful references for manufacturers, users, ESS operators, and grid operators in order to evaluate the performance and quality of ESS applied in EPSs.