Standard: NFPA - 36
STANDARD FOR SOLVENT EXTRACTION PLANTS
This standard is available with a subscription to IHS Standards Expert.
IHS Standards Expert subscription, simplifies and expedites the process for finding and managing standards by giving you access to standards from over 370 standards developing organizations (SDOs).FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Maximize product development and R&D with direct access to over 1.6 million standards
- Discover new markets: Identify unmet needs and discover next-generation technologies
- Improve quality by leveraging consistent standards to meet customer and market requirements
- Minimize risk: Mitigate liability and better understand compliance regulations
- Boost efficiency: Speed up research, capture and reuse expertise
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
This standard shall apply to the commercial scale extraction processing of animal and vegetable oils and fats by the use of Class I flammable hydrocarbon liquids, hereinafter referred to as “solvents.”
This standard shall also apply to any equipment and buildings that are located within 30 m (100 ft) of the extraction process.
This standard shall also apply to the unloading, storage, and handling of solvents, regardless of distance from the extraction process.
This standard shall also apply to the means by which material to be extracted is conveyed from the preparation process to the extraction process.
This standard shall also apply to the means by which extracted desolventized solids and oils are conveyed from the extraction process.
This standard shall also apply to preparation and meal finishing processes that are connected by conveyor to the extraction process, regardless of intervening distance.
This standard shall not apply to the storage of raw materials or finished products.
This standard shall not apply to extraction processes that use liquids that are miscible with water.
This standard shall not apply to extraction processes that use flammable gases, liquefied petroleum gases, or nonflammable gases.
This standard shall prohibit the use of processes that employ oxygen-active compounds that are heat or shock sensitive, such as certain organic peroxides, within the area defined in 1.1.2.
The purpose of this standard shall be to provide the following:
(1) Requirements for the design, construction, and operation of extraction processes that utilize Class I flammable hydrocarbon liquids
(2) Requirements for the prevention of fire and explosion in extraction processes and in associated preparation and meal finishing areas
(3) A means by which plant fire protection and supervisory personnel can evaluate the processes and operations under their control
(4) Guidance to regulatory and inspection officials in determining whether a given facility is being operated in accordance with good practice
(5) A workable set of standards for the use of design engineers, architects, and others in the planning and design of new installations
|Organization:||National Fire Protection Association|
|Change Type:||COMPLETE REVISION|
|Most Recent Revision:||YES|
|Document #||Change Type||Update Date||Revision||Status|
|NFPA 36||Change Type: TIA1||Update Date: 2016-11-11||Revision: 17||Status: ACTV|
|NFPA 36||Change Type: STCH||Update Date: 2013-01-01||Revision: 13||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type: STCH||Update Date: 2009-01-01||Revision: 09||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type: ERTA||Update Date: 2005-03-08||Revision: 04||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type:||Update Date: 2004-01-01||Revision: 04||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type:||Update Date: 2001-02-09||Revision: 01||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type:||Update Date: 1997-02-07||Revision: 97||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type:||Update Date: 1993-01-01||Revision: 93||Status: INAC|
|NFPA 36||Change Type:||Update Date: 1988-06-28||Revision: 88||Status: INAC|
This Standard References
Showing 10 of 24.