GM Extension to SAE J2534 Standard to Support CAN FD
|Publication Date:||1 January 2017|
Note: Nothing in this standard supercedes applicable laws and regulations. Note: In the event of conflict between the English and domestic language, the English language shall take precedence.
Purpose. This purpose of this standard is to define an implementation of the Controller Area Network with Flexible Data (CAN FD) protocol within the framework of SAE J2534-2, V04.04. This implementation utilizes the manufacture discretionary features defined in the SAE J2534 standard. The intent is to add support of the CAN FD protocol with minimal changes to existing applications and interfaces. The CAN FD protocol implemented two (2) strategies to increase data throughput of a Controller Area Network (CAN) 2.0 network:
• Increased frame payload size to 64 Bytes.
• Higher Baudrates (5 Mpbs).
Also included in this standard are enhancements to the ISO 15765-2 protocol that were necessary to support CAN FD:
• Configurable Frame Size.
• Increased Message Size.
Applicability. This document describes hardware and software changes required to add CAN FD to an SAE J2534-1/SAE J2534-2 interface. It also serves a reference guide for application developers that wish to add CAN FD support while staying within the framework of J2534, V04.04. 1.3 Remarks.
• References to "J1962" throughout the document relate to the SAE J1962 Diagnostic Connecter for On-Board Diagnostic purposes.
• References to "J2284" throughout the document relate to SAE J2284 and are use-case specific. Care should be exercised to apply the proper specification (see 2.1) for each application.
• References to "J2534" throughout the document relate to SAE J2534 and are use-case specific. Care should be exercised to apply the proper specification (see 2.1) for each application.