PACKT - PHP Reactive Programming
|Publication Date:||24 March 2017|
Leverage the power of Reactive Programming in PHP
About This Book
• Develop an interesting multiplayer browser game written in RxJS and re-implement it using RxPHP
• Enhance existing reactive applications by building a CLI tool combining Symfony Console
• Implement Gearman and Rabbit MQ for asynchronous communication
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
• How to work with the RxPHP library and see what it offers via many examples
• Use the RxPHP library in combination with Symfony Console
• The different approaches to using Symfony3's Event Dispatcher component
• Test your reactive PHP code using PHPUnit
• Analyze PHP source code and apply a custom set of rules by building a CLI tool
Reactive Programming helps us write code that is concise, clear, and readable. Combining the power of reactive programming and PHP, one of the most widely used languages, will enable you to create web applications more pragmatically.
PHP Reactive Programming will teach you the benefits of reactive programming via real-world examples with a hands-on approach. You will create multiple projects showing RxPHP in action alone and in combination with other libraries.
The book starts with a brief introduction to reactive programming, clearly explaining the importance of building reactive applications. You will use the RxPHP library, built a reddit CLI using it, and also re-implement the Symfony3 Event Dispatcher with RxPHP. You will learn how to test your RxPHP code by writing unit tests. Moving on to more interesting aspects, you will implement a web socket backend by developing a browser game. You will learn to implement quite complex reactive systems while avoiding pitfalls such as circular dependencies by moving the RxJS logic from the frontend to the backend. The book will then focus on writing extendable RxPHP code by developing a code testing tool and also cover Using RxPHP on both the server and client side of the application. With a concluding chapter on reactive programming practices in other languages, this book will serve as a complete guide for you to start writing reactive applications in PHP.
Style and approach
This book will teach readers how to build reactive applications in a step-by-step manner. It will also present several examples of reactive applications implemented with different frameworks.