UL Standard for Safety Household and Similar Electrical Appliances – Safety – Part 2-24: Particular Requirements for Refrigerating Appliances, Ice-Cream Appliances and Ice-Makers
|Publication Date:||28 April 2017|
This International Standard deals with the safety of the following appliances, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances, 480 V for other appliances and 24 V d.c. for appliances when battery operated:
- REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES for household and similar use;
- ICE-MAKERS incorporating a motor-compressor and ICE-MAKERS intended to be incorporated in frozen food storage compartments;
- REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES and ICE-MAKERS for use in camping, touring caravans and boats for leisure purposes
These appliances may be operated from the mains, from a separate battery or operated either from the mains or from a separate battery.
This standard also deals with the safety of ICE-CREAM APPLIANCES intended for household use, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
It also deals with COMPRESSION-TYPE APPLIANCES for household and similar use, which use FLAMMABLE REFRIGERANTS. This standard does not cover features of the construction and operation of those REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES which are dealt with in other IEC standards.
Refrigerating appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as
− REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES used in staff kitchen areas in shops, offices and other working environments,
− REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES used in farm houses and by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments,
− REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES used in bed and breakfast type environments, and
− REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES used in catering and similar non-retail applications
are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 1 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
NOTE 2 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended to be used in the open air;
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances incorporating a battery intended as a power supply for the refrigerating function;
- appliances assembled on site by the installer;
- appliances with remote motor-compressors;
- motor-compressors (IEC 60335-2-34);
- commercial dispensing appliances and vending appliances (IEC 60335-2-75);
- commercial refrigerators and freezers used for the display of food products, including beverages, for retail sale (IEC 60335-2-89);
- commercial ice-cream appliances.