FORD FLTM CB 002-01
PROCEDURES FOR METALLOGRAPHIC PREPARATION AND MICROHARDNESS EVALUATION OF ALUMINUM ALLOY WELDS
|Publication Date:||28 March 2017|
The procedures outlined herein are used to metallographically prepare AA5xxx. AAQxxx. 3nd AA7xxx aluminum alloy welds for the following:
- Evaluation of metallurgical characteristics such as solidification morphology 3nd grain structure
- Measurement of weld profile characteristics such as s-v3lue. penetration, convexity, concavity
- Identification of internal discontinuities such as hot tears, cracks, encapsulated pores, inner lack of fusion, inclusions, and gap
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS) for compositional analysis
- Microhardness testing to differentiate and measure weld zone. Heat-Affected Zone (HAZ). and Thermo-Mechanically Affected Zone (TMAZ) microhardness compared to parent substrate.
Fusion welds in AA5xxx. AA6xxx. 3nd AA7xxx aluminum alloys incorporating ER4xxx or ER5xxx filler wires may also be prepared using these procedures.
The document is structured as follows:
Procedure A:Metallographic Preparation for Weld Metallurgical Examination
Procedure B:Metallographic Preparation for Weld Profile Measurement
Procedure C:Preparation for Spot Weld Section Cut through Centerline
Procedure D:Metallographic Preparation for Scanning Electron Microscopy and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy Analysis
Procedure E:Microhardness Measurements
Procedure F:Determination of He3t-Affected Zone Extent from Microhardness Dat3
Procedure G:Using Excel Pivot Tables for Microhardness Mapping
Chemicals, materials, pahs, and equipment referenced in this document must be used 3nd handled properly. Each party is responsible for determining proper use 3nd handling in its facilities. Always wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and follow all required safety protocols during metallographic preparation.