PACKT - Java 9 Programming Blueprints
|Publication Date:||27 July 2017|
Build a variety of real-world applications by taking advantage of the newest features of Java 9
About This Book
• See some of the new features of Java 9 and be introduced to parts of the Java SDK
• This book provides a set of diverse, interesting projects that range in complexity from fairly simple to advanced and cover HTTP 2.0
• Take advantage of Java's new modularity features to write real-world applications that solve a variety of problems
Who This Book Is For
This book is for Java developers who are already familiar with the language. Familiarity with more advanced topics, such as network programming and threads, would be helpful, but is not assumed.
What You Will Learn
• Learn how to package Java applications as modules by using the Java Platform Module System
• Implement process management in Java by using the all-new process handling API
• Integrate your applications with third-party services in the cloud
• Interact with mail servers using JavaMail to build an application that filters spam messages
• Learn to use JavaFX to build rich GUI based applications, which are an essential element of application development
• Write microservices in Java using platform libraries and third-party frameworks
• Integrate a Java application with MongoDB to build a cloud-based note taking application
Java is a powerful language that has applications in a wide variety of fields. From playing games on your computer to performing banking transactions, Java is at the heart of everything.
The book starts by unveiling the new features of Java 9 and quickly walks you through the building blocks that form the basis of writing applications. There are 10 comprehensive projects in the book that will showcase the various features of Java 9. You will learn to build an email filter that separates spam messages from all your inboxes, a social media aggregator app that will help you efficiently track various feeds, and a microservice for a client/server note application, to name a few. The book covers various libraries and frameworks in these projects, and also introduces a few more frameworks that complement and extend the Java SDK.
Through the course of building applications, this book will not only help you get to grips with the various features of Java 9, but will also teach you how to design and prototype professional-grade applications with performance and security considerations.
Style and approach
This is a learn-as-you-build practical guide to building full-fledged applications using Java 9. With a project-based approach, we'll improve your Java skills. You will experience a variety of solutions to problems with Java.