PACKT - RESTful Java Web Services
|Publication Date:||17 November 2017|
Master core REST concepts and create RESTful web services in Java
About This Book
• Build efficient and secure RESTful web APIs in Java..
• Design solutions to produce, consume and visualize RESTful web services using WADL, RAML, and Swagger
• Familiarize the role of RESTful APIs usage in emerging technology trends like Cloud, IoT, Social Media.
Who This Book Is For
If you are a web developer with a basic understanding of the REST concepts and envisage to get acquainted with the idea of designing and developing RESTful web services, this is the book for you. As all the code samples for the book are written in Java, proficiency in Java is a must.
What You Will Learn
• Introduce yourself to the RESTful software architectural style and the REST API design principles
• Make use of the JSR 353 API, JSR 374 API, JSR 367 API and Jackson API for JSON processing
• Build portable RESTful web APIs, making use of the JAX-RS 2.1 API
• Simplify API development using the Jersey and RESTEasy extension APIs
• Secure your RESTful web services with various authentication and authorization mechanisms
• Get to grips with the various metadata solutions to describe, produce, and consume RESTful web services
• Understand the design and coding guidelines to build well-performing RESTful APIs
• See how the role of RESTful web services changes with emerging technologies and trends
Representational State Transfer (REST) is a simple yet powerful software architecture style to create lightweight and scalable web services. The RESTful web services use HTTP as the transport protocol and can use any message formats, including XML, JSON(widely used), CSV, and many more, which makes it easily inter-operable across different languages and platforms. This successful book is currently in its 3rd edition and has been used by thousands of developers. It serves as an excellent guide for developing RESTful web services in Java. This book attempts to familiarize the reader with the concepts of REST. It is a pragmatic guide for designing and developing web services using Java APIs for real-life use cases following best practices and for learning to secure REST APIs using OAuth and JWT. Finally, you will learn the role of RESTful web services for future technological advances, be it cloud, IoT or social media. By the end of this book, you will be able to efficiently build robust, scalable, and secure RESTful web services using Java APIs.
Style and approach
Step-by-step guide to designing and developing robust RESTful web services. Each topic is explained in a simple and easy-to-understand manner with lots of real-life use-cases and their solutions.