DODD 1100.13 CE-01
|Publication Date:||31 March 2017|
PURPOSE. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5124.02 (Reference (a)) and DoD Instruction (DoDI) 8910.01 (Reference (b)), this instruction:
a. Reissues DoDI 1100.13 (Reference (c)) to establish policies, assign responsibilities, and provide procedures for information collections involving the use of surveys.
b. Implements policies in accordance with the policy and guidance in Reference (b), Volumes 1 and 2 of DoD Manual 8910.01 (References (d) and (e)), DoDI 3216.02 (Reference (f)), part 219 of Title 32, Code of Federal Regulations (Reference (g)), and chapter 35 of Title 44, United States Code, also known as the "Paperwork Reduction Act" (Reference (h)).
c. Assigns responsibilities for coordination of survey requests.
d. Establishes procedures for evaluating and obtaining mandatory review and coordination of survey requests.
e. Provides guidance, information, and standards used during the review of survey requests.
f. Fosters development of effective survey systems.
APPLICABILITY. This instruction:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the Department of Defense (referred to collectively in this instruction as the "DoD Components").
(2) Surveys requiring participation of personnel from more than one DoD or OSD Component, including those of Military Service members; Service members' spouses; family members eligible for DoD benefits; DoD civilians; Service academy students; and survivors of deceased Service members.
(3) Surveys requiring participation of DoD personnel that are requested by an external organization, including State, local, or tribal governments, other federal agencies, or public organizations or individuals, or are called for by law with no direct response to Congress required.
4) Surveys of members of the public (including government contractors) conducted by any DoD or OSD Component. Public information collections, including surveys, must be developed and processed in accordance with the guidelines in Reference (e).
b. Does not apply to:
(1) A DoD or OSD Component conducting a survey of personnel from only one DoD or OSD Component.
(2) The Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense in fulfilling its statutory duties and functions.