DODD 8910.01-M VOL 1 CE-02
DoD Information Collections Manual: Procedures for DoD Internal Information Collections
|Publication Date:||19 April 2017|
a. Manual. This manual:
(1) Is composed of two volumes, each containing its own purpose, and reissues DoD Manual (DoDM) 8910.1-M (Reference (a)). The purpose of the overall manual, in accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5105.53 (Reference (b)), DoD Instruction (DoDI) 8910.01 (Reference (c)), the Secretary of Defense memorandum (Reference (d)), DoD Directive 5105.82 (Reference (aa)), and the Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum (Reference (ab)), is to provide guidance to collect information from the public, other federal agencies, or the OSD and DoD Components.
(2) Provides guidance to Information Management Control Officers (IMCO) on the operation of their OSD and DoD Component information collection management programs; and provides the procedures to approve and license with a report control symbol (RCS) DoD internal information collections and approve DoD public information collections.
b. Volume. This volume:
(1) Updates the responsibilities and procedures for the approval and licensing of DoD internal information collections including information requested from other federal agencies by DoD (see the Glossary in this volume for the definition of DoD internal information collection).
(2) Establishes the DoD Information Collections Webpage and the DoD Information Collections Repository (http://www.dtic.mil
(3) Incorporates and cancels Directive-type Memorandum (DTM) 12-004 (Reference (e)).
APPLICABILITY. This volume:
a. Applies to OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this volume as the "DoD Components").
b. Does not apply to:
(1) Individual OSD or DoD Component information collections that do not cross into other OSD or DoD Components that are approved within and by the OSD or DoD Component requesting the information collection.
(2) Information collections where DoD is a respondent to Congress. The Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs manages the approval and licensing processes for information collection requirements in which DoD responds to a request by Congress. Policy, procedures, and guidance for information collections requested by Congress can be found in DoDI 5545.02 (Reference (f)).
(3) DoD generated, owned, or DoD sponsored information collections that request information from the public. Procedures for DoD information collections from the public are detailed in DoDM 8910.01, Volume 2 (Reference (g)).
(4) Non-federal information collections as governed by DoDD 5400.07 (Reference (h)) and DoD Manual 5400.07 (Reference (i)).
c. If an information collection can be considered a public and DoD internal information collection requirement, the request must be processed in accordance with the procedures in Reference (g).