DODD 5230.09 (D) CE-02
Clearance of DoD Information for Public Release
|Publication Date:||14 April 2017|
APPLICABILITY AND SCOPE
a. This Directive applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the Department of Defense (hereafter referred to collectively as the "DoD Components").
(2) All DoD personnel.
b. This Directive does NOT apply for provisions governing review of:
(1) Prepared statements, transcripts of testimony, questions for the record, inserts for the record, budget documents, and other material provided to congressional committees that may be included in the published records. (DoD Instruction (DoDI) 5400.04 (Reference (c)) applies.)
(2) Information before publication or disclosure by DoD contractors. (DoD 5220.22-M and DoD Manual 5200.01 (References (d) and (e)) apply.)
(3) Official information in litigation. (DoDD 5405.2 (Reference (f)) applies.)
(4) Release of official DoD information to the news media. (DoDD 5122.05 (Reference (g)) applies.)
PURPOSE. This Directive reissues DoD Directive (DoDD) 5230.09 (Reference (a)) to update policy and responsibilities for the security and policy review process for the clearance of official DoD information proposed for official public release by the Department of Defense and its employees under DoDD 5105.02 (Reference (b)).