Design and Installation of Overhead Line Foundations
|Publication Date:||2 December 2017|
This standard defines the requirements for structural and geotechnical design of overhead line foundations.
It applies to the design, assessment and installation of foundations for overhead line equipment, including ranges of standard designs, allocation of standard designs and bespoke designs.
This standard applies to Detail Designers, Assessment Engineers, Allocation Designers and Project Engineers.
This standard defines the requirements for the design of foundations for Overhead Line Equipment, to achieve economy, safety and performance and mitigate the risk of dewirements.
Guidance is provided for the application of design to the structural and geotechnical Eurocodes, as well as supplementary information for the application of BS EN 50119: 2009.
The relevant national standard transposing a European standard is BS EN 50119:2009. NR/L2/CIV/074 has the following relationship with BS EN 50119:2009:
a) The scope of NR/L2/CIV/074 corresponds with BS EN 50119: Section 6.5: Foundations.
b) NR/L2/CIV/074 provides supplementary information which is required to apply BS EN 50119 Section 6.5 to Network Rail infrastructure, therefore NR/L2/CIV/074 takes precedence over BS EN 50119 Section 6.5. Additionally, project-specific contract requirements take precedence over NR/L2/CIV/074 as long as NR/L2/CIV/074 requirements are met as a minimum.
c) The purchaser specification referred to in BS EN 50119 shall be taken as NR/L2/CIV/074, supplemented by project-specific contract requirements.
d) As permitted by BS EN 50119, NR/L2/CIV/074 provides the following decisions:
1. Values where alternative values or informative values only are given in BS EN 50119, including values which may be provided in the purchaser specification;
2. Country specific data including detail of ice and wind loads;
3. Procedures to be used where alternative procedures are given in BS EN 50119;
4. Non-contradictory complementary information to assist the user to apply the standard;
NR/L2/CIV/074 has incorporated relevant provisions from BS EN 50119:2009 such that it can be used without direct reference to BS EN 50119:2009.
This standard is one of a suite of standards for Overhead Line Equipment as follows:
• NR/L2/CIV/072 Wind Loading of Overhead Line Equipment and Structures
• NR/L2/CIV/073 Design of Overhead Line Structures
• NR/L2/CIV/074 Design and Installation of Overhead Line Foundations
The above suite of standards implement the structural Eurocodes EN 1990 to EN 1999 (excluding BS EN 1998) for structural design of Overhead Line Equipment (OLE) structures including foundations.