PACKT - Scala Reactive Programming
|Publication Date:||28 February 2018|
Build fault-tolerant, robust, and distributed applications in Scala
About This Book
• Understand and use the concepts of reactive programming to build distributed systems running on multiple nodes.
• Learn how reactive architecture reduces complexity throughout the development process.
• Get to grips with functional reactive programming and Reactive Microservices.
Who This Book Is For
This book is for Scala developers who would like to build fault-tolerant, scalable distributed systems. No knowledge of Reactive programming is required.
What You Will Learn
• Understand the fundamental principles of Reactive and Functional programming
• Develop applications utilizing features of the Akka framework
• Explore techniques to integrate Scala, Akka, and Play together
• Learn about Reactive Streams with real-time use cases
• Develop Reactive Web Applications with Play, Scala, Akka, and Akka Streams
• Develop and deploy Reactive microservices using the Lagom framework and ConductR
Reactive programming is a scalable, fast way to build applications, and one that helps us write code that is concise, clear, and readable. It can be used for many purposes such as GUIs, robotics, music, and others, and is central to many concurrent systems. This book will be your guide to getting started with Reactive programming in Scala.
You will begin with the fundamental concepts of Reactive programming and gradually move on to working with asynchronous data streams. You will then start building an application using Akka Actors and extend it using the Play framework. You will also learn about reactive stream specifications, event sourcing techniques, and different methods to integrate Akka Streams into the Play Framework. This book will also take you one step forward by showing you the advantages of the Lagom framework while working with reactive microservices. You will also learn to scale applications using multi-node clusters and test, secure, and deploy your microservices to the cloud. By the end of the book, you will have gained the knowledge to build robust and distributed systems with Scala and Akka.
Style and approach
The book takes a pragmatic approach, showing you how to build a scalable distributed system using Scala and Akka.