PACKT - Network Analysis Using Wireshark 2 Cookbook
|Publication Date:||30 March 2018|
Over 100 recipes to analyze and troubleshoot network problems using Wireshark 2
About This Book
• Place Wireshark 2 in your network and configure it for effective network analysis
• Deep dive into the enhanced functionalities of Wireshark 2 and protect your network with ease
• A practical guide with exciting recipes on a widely used network protocol analyzer
Who This Book Is For
This book is for security professionals, network administrators, R&D, engineering and technical support, and communications managers who are using Wireshark for network analysis and troubleshooting. It requires a basic understanding of networking concepts, but does not require specific and detailed technical knowledge of protocols or vendor implementations.
What You Will Learn
• Configure Wireshark 2 for effective network analysis and troubleshooting
• Set up various display and capture filters
• Understand networking layers, including IPv4 and IPv6 analysis
• Explore performance issues in TCP/IP
• Get to know about Wi-Fi testing and how to resolve problems related to wireless LANs
• Get information about network phenomena, events, and errors
• Locate faults in detecting security failures and breaches in networks
This book contains practical recipes on troubleshooting a data communications network. This second version of the book focuses on Wireshark 2, which has already gained a lot of traction due to the enhanced features that it offers to users. The book expands on some of the subjects explored in the first version, including TCP performance, network security, Wireless LAN, and how to use Wireshark for cloud and virtual system monitoring. You will learn how to analyze end-to-end IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity failures for Unicast and Multicast traffic using Wireshark. It also includes Wireshark capture files so that you can practice what you've learned in the book. You will understand the normal operation of E-mail protocols and learn how to use Wireshark for basic analysis and troubleshooting. Using Wireshark, you will be able to resolve and troubleshoot common applications that are used in an enterprise network, like NetBIOS and SMB protocols. Finally, you will also be able to measure network parameters, check for network problems caused by them, and solve them effectively. By the end of this book, you'll know how to analyze traffic, find patterns of various offending traffic, and secure your network from them.
Style and approach
This book consists of practical recipes on Wireshark 2 that target novices as well as intermediate Wireshark users. It goes deep into the technical issues, covers additional protocols, and many more real-live examples so that you are able to implement it in your daily life scenarios.