CI/CHLOR PAMPHLET 86
Recommendations to Chlor - Alkali Manufacturing Facilities for the Prevention of Chlorine Releases
|Publication Date:||1 March 2016|
This pamphlet contains the following information to assist the user in the prevention or minimization of chlorine releases.
• An overview of Canadian, Mexican and U.S. regulatory requirements relevant to mitigating the risk of an uncontrolled chlorine release.
• Reference material and discussion to assist the reader with Risk Management Plan (RMP) implementation in the United States, CEPA implementation in Canada and SEMARNAT implementation in Mexico for chlorine releases. Note that this document does not contain a comprehensive discussion of these regulations. This information should be sought directly from the appropriate regulatory agency.
• A summary of chlorine releases and cause data to assist the user in understanding potential areas of concern.
• A review of the U.S. EPA RMP elements.
• Insight into the design considerations and critical decisions necessary to prevent chlorine releases. The reader will be directed to the applicable referenced pamphlets for in-depth information.
• A checklist (Appendix A) designed to assist the reader in implementing the recommendations found in this pamphlet.
• A sample audit form (Appendix B) to assist with the evaluation of compliance with risk management plans.
This pamphlet is intended to provide useful information to chlor-alkali manufacturing facilities to help prevent the occurrence, or minimize the consequences, of uncontrolled releases of chlorine.