PACKT - Beginning DevOps with Docker
|Publication Date:||29 May 2018|
Automate the deployment of your environment with the power of the Docker toolchain
About This Book
• Written and reviewed by expert Docker developers
• The book precisely covers all the essential topics such as building images and managing container swarms required in day to day use for Docker
• The book includes activities on the docker CLI and exercises such as writing Dockerfiles for Python which will allow you to reinforce the concepts covered
Who This Book Is For
The book is crafted for developers, system architects, junior and mid-level site reliability engineers interested in adapting a docker workflow. They are also required to have a basic knowledge of UNIX concepts such as ssh, ports and logs
What You Will Learn
• Understand how to effectively design and build containers for different applications
• Set up an environment for testing, avoiding environment mismatch that is breaking production
• Set up and manage a multi-tier environment.
• Run, debug, and experiment with applications in a container
DevOps with Docker outlines the power of containerization and the influence this innovation has on development teams and general operations. We also get to understand what DevOps really is, the principles involved and how the process contributes to product health, by implementing a Docker workflow. We will learn to interpret Dockerfile syntax, build images and set up containers and images. In addition, we will deploy a Docker image to the Docker Hub. Docker is an open source containerization tool, that makes it easier to streamline product delivery. It helps reduce the time taken to get from a whiteboard sketch of the business to a money-back implementation.
This fast-paced book is a perfect amalgamation of theory and hands-on exercises. The book will take you through the basics of Docker and DevOps and why and how they integrate. You will then understand what containers are, and how to create and manage them. Next, we will work on the docker-compose file and CLI. Then we will move to set up a network with the docker-compose tool. Gradually you will learn how to scale a delivery pipeline and multiple deployments with Docker. Lastly, you will grasp the concept of orchestration and learn to implement the delivery of containerized applications.
Style and approach
This is a fast-paced, practical hands-on book aimed at experienced developers and system architects. As you progress you'll find helpful tips and tricks, as well as useful self-assessment material, exercises and activities to help benchmark your progress and reinforce what you've learned. The activities are devised to simulate the real-world conditions in order to equip you with the necessary skills to accelerate software deployment while still retaining security, portability and saving on costs.