Abrasion resistant coatings
|Publication Date:||1 July 2018|
This CP gives a description of the procedures and requirements related to documentation, design and type testing applicable for TA of abrasion resistant coatings This CP does not set the design requirements to the abrasion resistant coatings. TA is based on compliance with design requirements given in the Society's rules and/or other regulations and standards.
The CP describes the applicable design requirements and how to document compliance with the requirements in order to obtain a TA certificate for the equipment. This includes, where relevant, technical requirements for how the type tests shall be performed.
This CP includes requirements for:
- abrasion resistant coatings on vessels intended for navigation in ice-infested waters and on other vessels where abrasion resistance and strength of coating is of importance due to e.g. frequent mechanical cleaning
- coatings for use in dielectric shields and similar applications. The Society's type approval certificate will cover one grade of the actual product with the possibility to include variants. For abrasion resistant coatings this means:
- Grades: one base resin. Full coating system, including one or more coats (as per system definition). Each type of reinforcement (fibres, flakes, particles) will be considered as grade.
- Variants: colour variants, thinned variants and similar. All variants shall fulfil the requirements to the same grade.
The Society's type approval certificate is normally limited to one manufacturer at one production site, however, other arrangements may be agreed upon with the Society.
Type tests as specified in Sec.2  shall be carried out and verified in one of the following ways:
- at a DNV GL laboratory
- at an accredited and recognized testing laboratory or a laboratory accepted by the Society
- at the manufacturer's premises in the presence of a surveyor.