ICAO 9303 PART 3
Machine Readable Travel Documents - Part 3: Specifications Common to all MRTDs
|Publication Date:||1 January 2015|
The Seventh Edition of Doc 9303 represents a restructuring of the ICAO specifications for Machine Readable Travel Documents. Without incorporating substantial modifications to the specifications, in this new edition Doc 9303 has been reformatted into a set of specifications for Size 1 Machine Readable Official Travel Documents (TD1), Size 2 Machine Readable Official Travel Documents (TD2), and Size 3 Machine Readable Travel Documents (TD3), as well as visas. This set of specifications consists of various separate documents in which general (applicable to all MRTDs) as well as MRTD form factor specific specifications are grouped.
This Part 3 of Doc 9303 is based on the Sixth Edition of Doc 9303, Part 1, Volume 1, Machine Readable Passports - Passports with Machine Readable Data Stored in Optical Character Recognition Format (2006) and the Third Edition of Doc 9303, Part 3, Volume 1, Machine Readable Official Travel Documents - MRtds with Machine Readable Data Stored in Optical Character Recognition Format (2008).
Part 3 defines specifications that are common to TD1, TD2 and TD3 size machine readable travel documents (MRTDs) including those necessary for global interoperability using visual inspection and machine readable (optical character recognition) means. Detailed specifications applicable to each form factor appear in Doc 9303, Parts 4 through 7.
Part 3 should be read in conjunction with:
• Part 1 - Introduction;
• Part 2 - Specifications for the Security of the Design, Manufacture and Issuance of MRTDs;
and the relevant form factor specific part:
• Part 4 - Specifications for Machine Readable Passports (MRPs) and other TD3 Size MRTDs;
• Part 5 - Specifications for TD1 Size Machine Readable Official Travel Documents (MROTDs);
• Part 6 - Specifications for TD2 Size Machine Readable Official Travel Documents (MROTDs); and
• Part 7- Machine Readable Visas.
These specifications also apply to machine readable travel documents that contain a contactless IC i.e. electronic machine readable travel documents (eMRTDs). Specifications solely for eMRTDs are contained in the following parts of Doc 9303:
• Part 9 - Deployment of Biometric Identification and Electronic Storage of Data in MRTDs;
• Part 10 - Logical Data Structure (LDS) for Storage of Biometrics and other Data in the Contactless Integrated Circuit (IC);
• Part 11 - Security Mechanisms for MRTDs; and
• Part 12 - Public Key Infrastructure for MRTDs.