ISO - 8230-1
Safety requirements for dry-cleaning machines — Part 1: Common safety requirements
|Publication Date:||1 October 2008|
|ICS Code (Laundry appliances):||97.060|
This part of ISO 8230 specifies common safety requirements for dry-cleaning machines.
It is applicable to dry-cleaning machines of all sizes intended for industrial and commercial use for the cleaning of articles made of textile, leather, furs and skins, using exclusively either perchloroethylene or combustible solvent as the cleaning medium.
It is not applicable to:
- machines placed at the disposal of the general public (self-service);
- barrier machines as defined in 3.1.5;
- transfer machines as defined in 3.1.4;
- ironing presses (see ISO 10472-1 and ISO 10472-6);
- ancillary equipment, e.g. room ventilation equipment, waste recuperation systems of the still, external water cooling systems or external systems for solvent recovery from the still sludge.
This part of ISO 8230 deals with all significant hazards arising from the use of the dry-cleaning machine, where "use of the dry-cleaning machine" comprises both intended use and foreseeable abnormal situations and includes commissioning, use and maintenance. It defines the common safety requirements for dry-cleaning machines and is intended to be used in conjunction with ISO 8230-2 and ISO 8230-3, as relevant. Specific requirements in those other parts of ISO 8230 take precedence over the respective requirements of this part of ISO 8230.
It does not deal with hazards caused by processing items that can create an explosive atmosphere (e.g. printers' wipers containing a low-flash solvent), nor with machines processing loads that can contain "foreign solvents", which could lead to a change in a property (characteristic) of the cleaning solvent, e.g. cause foaming or make it carcinogenic.
This part of ISO 8230 applies to machines manufactured after the date of its issue.