Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-14: Particular requirements for kitchen machines
|Publication Date:||1 September 2008|
|ICS Code (Small kitchen appliances):||97.040.50|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric kitchen machines for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
NOTE 101 Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
- bean slicers;
- berry-juice extractors;
- can openers;
- centrifugal juicers;
- citrus-fruit squeezers;
- coffee mills not exceeding 500 g hopper capacity;
- cream whippers;
- egg beaters;
- food mixers;
- food processors;
- grain grinders not exceeding 3 l hopper capacity;
- ice-cream machines, including those for use in refrigerators and freezers;
- knife sharpeners;
- noodle makers;
- potato peelers;
- sieving machines;
- slicing machines.
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
NOTE 102 Use of a kitchen machine in a bed and breakfast premises, for example, is considered to be household use.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 103 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 104 This standard does not apply to
- slicing machines having a circular knife the blade of which is inclined at an angle exceeding 45° to the vertical;
- food waste disposers (IEC 60335-2-16);
- ice-cream appliances with incorporated motor compressors (IEC 60335-2-24);
- kitchen machines intended for commercial purposes (IEC 60335-2-64);
- kitchen machines intended for industrial purposes;
- kitchen machines intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).