Vehicle-Mounted Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Devices
|Publication Date:||1 January 2006|
Equipment covered. This Standard applies to mobile units capable of positioning a platform alongside or beneath a bridge deck or equivalent structure while being supported from such structure and are used to position personnel, along with their necessary tools and materials, at work locations. Typical examples of this type of equipment are shown in Figure 1 on page 48.
Equipment not covered. The scope of this standard does not include the following equipment: Ladder and ladder stands such as those covered in American National Standards for Ladder and Ladder Stands, ANSI A14 series
Scaffolding such as those covered in American National Standard for Scaffolding Safety Requirements, ANSI A10.8-2001
Vehicle and trailer mounted Elevating and Rotating Mobile units such as those covered in American National Standard for the Vehicle-Mounted Elevating and Rotating Aerial Devices, ANSI/SIA A92.2-2009
Non-self-propelled elevating mobile unit such as those covered in American National Standard for Manually Propelled Elevating Aerial Platforms, ANSI/SIA A92.3- 2006
Self-propelled elevating mobile units such as those covered in American National Standard for Boom- Supported Elevating Work Platforms, ANSI/SIA A92.5- 2006 and Self-Propelled Elevating Work Platforms, ANSI/SIA A92.6-2006
Vehicle-mounted vertical lift devices such as those covered in American National Standard for Airline Ground Support Vehicle-Mounted Vertical Lift Devices, ANSI/SIA A92.7-1990 (Reaffirmed 1998)
Mast climbing work platforms such as those covered in American National Standard for Mast Climbing Work Platforms, ANSI/SIA A92.9-2011
Suspended powered platforms for exterior building maintenance such as those covered in Suspended Power Platforms for Exterior Building Maintenance, ANSI A120.1-2008
Vertically adjustable equipment used primarily to raise and lower materials and equipment from one elevation to another as in ANSI A17, B30, and B56 series Fire fighting equipment such as covered in Automotive Fire Apparatus ANSI/NFPA 1901-2009
Construction and demolition digger derricks such as those covered in American National Standard for Construction and Demolition Safety Requirements, Definitions, and Specifications, ANSI A10.31-2006
Mobile and Locomotive Truck Cranes, ANSI/ASME B30.5-2007 with Supplements "A" and "B" Personnel carrying attachments associated with cranes such as those covered in ANSI/ASME B30.23-2005 Personnel Lifting (platforms attached to the crane boom or suspended by hooks).
Purpose. This Standard applies to the
establishment of criteria for design, manufacture, remanufacture,
(1) Prevention of personal injuries and accidents;
(2) Establishment of criteria for design, manufacture,
remanufacture, installation, rebuild/recondition,
(3) Establishment and understanding by designers, manufacturers, remanufacturers, installers, dealers, owners, users, operators, lessees, lessors and brokers of their respective responsibilities.
Effective Dates. This Standard will become effective September 5, 2012 as follows:
(1) Design, manufacture and remanufacture requirements. The design and manufacturing requirements of this Standard will apply to all mobile units manufactured on or after the effective date. Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Devices remanufactured on or after the effective date of this Standard shall comply with the requirements of this Standard.
(3) Installation Requirements. The installation requirements of this Standard apply to all Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Devices installed on or after the effective date.
(4) Responsibilities for installers, dealers, owners, users, operators, lessors, lessees, and brokers. All provisions detailed for dealers, owners, users, operators, lessors, lessees, and brokers apply to both new and existing units delivered by sale, lease, rental, or any form of beneficial use on or after the effective date.