B11/STD - B11.16
Machine Tools - Safety Requirements for Powder/Metal Compacting Presses
|Publication Date:||1 January 2003|
The requirements of this standard apply to those mechanically or hydraulically powered machines that are designed, modified, or converted for the purpose of compressing metallic or nonmetallic powders.
These machines are commonly referred to as metal powder presses, powder metal presses, compacting presses, P/M briquetting presses, metal powder sizing presses or metal powder coining presses. For the purpose of this standard, they shall be referred to as "P/M presses."
P/M presses are composed of a frame, tooling platens, upper or lower rams or sliding anvil and may utilize any combination of mechanical, hydraulic, or pneumatic power.
Types of machines excluded
Excluded from this standard are:
• mechanical and hydraulic power press brakes;
• mechanical and hydraulic power presses;
• conventional hot bending and hot metal presses;
• conventional forging presses;
• riveting machines and similar types of fastener applications;
• isostatic and hydrostatic presses;
• high energy rate presses.