UL Standard for Safety Household and Similar Electrical Appliances, Part 2: Particular Requirements for Motor-Compressors
|Publication Date:||21 October 2005|
The clause of part 1 is replaced by:
This International standard deals with the safety of sealed (hermetic and semi-hermetic type) MOTORCOMPRESSORS, their protection and control systems, if any, which are intended for use in equipment for household and similar purposes and which conform with the standards applicable to such equipment. It applies to MOTOR-COMPRESSORS tested separately, under the most severe conditions which may be expected to occur in normal use, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V for single-phase MOTOR-COMPRESSORS and 480 V for other MOTOR-COMPRESSORS.
NOTE 101 Examples of equipment which contain MOTOR-COMPRESSORS are:
- refrigerators, food freezers and ice makers (IEC 60335-2-24);
- air-conditioners, electric heat pumps and dehumidifiers (IEC 60335-2-40);
- commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines (IEC 60335-2-75);
- factory built assemblies for transferring heat in applications for refrigerating, airconditioning or heating purposes or a combination of such purposes.
NOTE 102 This standard does not supersede the requirements of standards relevant to the particular appliance in which the MOTOR-COMPRESSOR is used. However, if the MOTOR-COMPRESSOR type used complies with this standard, the tests for the MOTOR-COMPRESSOR specified in the particular appliance standard may not need to be made in the particular appliance or assembly. If the MOTOR-COMPRESSOR CONTROL SYSTEM is associated with the particular appliance control system, additional tests may be necessary on the final appliance.
So far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by MOTOR-COMPRESSORS used in appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, it does not in general take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with appliances by young children.
NOTE 103 Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- for MOTOR-COMPRESSORS intended to be used in appliances in vehicles or on board ships, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labor and similar authorities.
NOTE 104 This standard does not apply to:
- MOTOR-COMPRESSORS designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- MOTOR-COMPRESSORS used in appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
NOTE 105 This standard does not take into consideration failure of software. If the safety of the MOTOR-COMPRESSORS is dependent on the correct functioning of software, this hazard is addressed by the necessary software analysis. Requirements for this analysis are under consideration.
1DV D2 Modification by replacing the second paragraph of Clause 1 with the following:
1DV.1 This international standard deals with the safety of sealed (hermetic and semi-hermetic type) MOTOR-COMPRESSORS, their PROTECTION SYSTEMS and CONTROL SYSTEMS, if any, which are intended for use in equipment for household and similar purposes and which conform with the standards applicable to such equipment. It applies to MOTOR-COMPRESSORS tested separately, under the most severe conditions which may be expected to occur in normal use, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 600 V.
1DV.2 This Standard also applies to motor protection systems that may be provided with MOTOR-COMPRESSORS.
1DV.2.1 D2 Modification of Note 104 of the part 2:
The first sub-clause in Note 104 is not applicable.
1DV.2.2 D2 Modification of 1DV of the part 1:
The articulate probe referenced in 12DV of UL 60335-1 is applicable to MOTOR-COMPRESSORS.
1.101DV D2 Addition of the following paragraph to the part 2:
For undated reference to standards, such reference shall be considered to refer to the latest edition and all amendments to that edition up to the time when this standard was approved. For dated reference to standards, such reference shall be considered to refer to the dated edition and all amendments published up to the time the standard was approved.