CENELEC - EN 50126-1
Railway applications – The specification and demonstration of Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) Part 1: Basic requirements and generic process
|Publication Date:||1 September 1999|
|ICS Code (Railway engineering in general):||45.020|
|ICS Code (Electric traction equipment):||29.280|
This European Standard:
- define RAMS in terms of reliability, availability, maintainability and safety and their interaction;
- defines a process, based on the system lifecycle and tasks within it, for managing RAMS;
- enables conflicts between RAMS elements to be controlled and managed effectively;
- defines a systematic process for specifying requirements for RAMS and demonstrating that these requirements are achieved;
- addresses railway specifics; does not define RAMS targets, quantities, requirements or solutions for specific railway applications;
- does not specify requirements for ensuring system security;
- does not define rules or processes pertaining to the certification of railway products against the requirements of this standard;
- does not define and approval process by the safety regulatory authority.
This European Standard is applicable:
- to the specification and demonstration of RAMS for all railway applications and at all levels of such an application, as appropriate, from complete railway routes to major systems within a railway route, and to individual and combined sub-systems and components within these major systems, including those containing software; in particular:
- to new systems;
- to new systems integrated into existing systems in operation prior to the creation of this standard, although it is not generally applicable to other aspects of the existing system;
- to modifications of existing systems in operation prior to the creation of this standard although it is not generally applicable to other aspects of the existing system.
- at all relevant phases of the lifecycle of an application;
- for use by Railway Authorities and the railway support industry.
NOTE Guidance on the applicability is given in the requirements of this standard.