CEN - EN 12331
Food processing machinery - Mincing machines - Safety and hygiene requirements
|Publication Date:||1 November 2003|
|ICS Code (Plants and equipment for the food industry):||67.260|
This European Standard specifies requirements for the design and manufacture of mincing machines (see Figures 1 and 2) used in a stationary position.
The machines covered by this standard are used for size reduction of fresh or frozen meat, meat products and fish by cutting in a set of cutting tools.
Mincing machines for domestic uses are not included in this standard. Filling mincers are covered by EN 12463 "Food processing machinery - Filling machines and auxiliary machines - Safety and hygiene requirements".
This standard applies only to machines that are manufactured after the date of issue of this standard.
Mincing machines in connection with using a hold to run foot switch are not covered by this standard.
This European Standard covers:
- mincing machines used in shops and preparation rooms;
- mincing machines used in kitchens where sausages are prepared;
- mincing machines used industrially;
The extent to which hazards are covered, is indicated in this European Standard. For other hazards which are not covered by this European Standard, machinery should comply with EN ISO 12100 where applicable.
This European Standard is not dealing with specific requirements for the control of mincing machines with foot switch.
This standard covers the following types:
- Mincing machine with tray, feed intake and pusher, diameter < 52 mm on feed intake (see Figure 5)
- Mincing machine with tray, feed intake, restrictor plate and pusher, diameter > 52 mm on feed intake (see Figure 6)
- Mincing machine with feed intake hopper and cover, screw conveyor, with1) or without mixing screw in feed intake hopper (see Figure 7)
- Mincing machine with feed intake hopper, with or without cover, screw conveyor, with1) or without mixing screw in feed intake hopper, with loading device (continuously or discontinuously)
Mincing machines comprise a machine base, a worm casing with a worm, a feed intake tray or hopper, a screw conveyor (and sometimes an additional mixing screw in the feed intake hopper), a set of cutting tools, a lock nut, a loading device, a drive motor and, depending on machine type, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic components. They will also have various safeguarding devices as examples in clause 5.
Mincing machines may be equipped e.g. with
- an extraction claw,
- an ejector or extractor,
- a protective hood over the discharge outlet,
- a cover over the inlet opening of the feed intake hopper,
- a transport carriage for the lock nut, the set of cutting tools, the worm and the screw conveyor,
- a lifting device for the lock nut, the set of cutting tools, the worm and the screw conveyor,
- a loading device.
The fresh or frozen meat, meat product or the fish is fed manually or by means of the loading device into the mincing machine. The product is fed to the worm either by means of a pusher or a screw conveyor and size reduced in the set of cutting tools.
It is not intended that mincing machines are cleaned with pressurized water. However, it is to be foreseen that it is difficult to guarantee that this method will never be used in practice. In order to deal with this eventuality, the requirements of 22.214.171.124 should apply.
This European Standard specifies all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to mincing machines, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Clause 4).
This European Standard specifies the hazards which can arise during commissioning, operation, cleaning, use, maintenance and decommissioning of the machine
1)In this case, EN 13570 should be taken into consideration.