CEN - EN 1999-1-2
Eurocode 9 - Design of aluminium structures - Part 1-2: Structural fire design
|Publication Date:||1 February 2007|
|ICS Code (Metal structures):||91.080.10|
|ICS Code (Technical aspects):||91.010.30|
Scope of EN 1999
(1)P EN 1999 applies to the design of buildings and civil engineering works in aluminium. It complies with the principles and requirements for the safety and serviceability of structures, the basis of their design and verification that are given in EN 1990 - Basis of structural design.
(2)P EN 1999 is only concerned with requirements for resistance, serviceability, durability and fire resistance of aluminium structures. Other requirements, e.g. concerning thermal or sound insulation, are not considered.
(3) EN 1999 is intended to be used in conjunction with:
- EN 1990 "Basis of structural design"
- EN 1991 "Actions on structures", all relevant parts
- European Standards for construction products relevant for aluminium structures
- EN 1998 "Design of structures for earthquake resistance", where aluminium structures are built in seismic regions
(4) EN 1999 is subdivided in five parts:
- EN 1999-1-1 Design of aluminium structures: General structural rules
- EN 1999-1-2 Design of aluminium structures: Structural fire design
- EN 1999-1-3 Design of aluminium structures: Structures susceptible to fatigue
- EN 1999-1-4 Design of aluminium structures: Cold formed structural sheeting
- EN 1999-1-5 Design of aluminium structures: Shell structures
Scope of EN 1999-1-2
(1) EN 1999-1-2 deals with the design of aluminium structures for the accidental situation of fire exposure and is intended to be used in conjunction with EN 1999-1-1 and EN 1991-1-2. EN1999-1-2 only identifies differences from, or supplements to, normal temperature design.
(2) EN 1999-1-2 deals only with passive methods of fire protection. Active methods are not covered.
(3) EN 1999-1-2 applies to aluminium structures that are required to fulfil load bearing function if exposed to fire, in terms of avoiding premature collapse of the structure.
NOTE This part does not include rules for separating elements.
(4) EN 1999-1-2 gives principles and application rules for design of structures for specified requirements in respect of the load bearing function and the levels of performance.
(5) EN 1999-1-2 applies to structures, or parts of structures, that are within the scope of EN 1999-1-1 and are designed accordingly.
(6) The aluminium alloy properties given in the Part 1-2 of EN 1999 apply to the following aluminium alloys:
EN AW-3004 - H34 EN AW-5083 - O and H12 EN AW-6063 - T5 and T6
EN AW-5005 - O and H34 EN AW-5454 - O and H34 EN AW-6082 - T4 and T6
EN AW-5052 - H34 EN AW-6061 - T6
(7) The methods given in EN 1999-1-2 are applicable also to the other aluminium alloy/tempers of EN 1999- 1-1 if reliable material properties at elevated temperatures are available or the simplified assumptions in 3.2.1 are applied.