Technical Parameters for IP Network to Network Interconnection
|Publication Date:||1 August 2010|
SCOPE, PURPOSE AND APPLICATION
The ATIS Next Generation Carrier Interconnection (NG-CI) Task Force (TF) TRs specify a standardsbased interface for network-to-network interconnection for next generation network services.
This technical report specifies the "Interconnection Technical Parameters" that need to be collected and eventually exchanged between two service providers so that they can successfully interconnect IP based facilities and VoIP services at an NNI.
The purpose of this Technical Report is to document the set of technical specifications pertaining to the parameters and attribute settings to be discussed and agreed upon for SIP-Based voice services.
This Technical Report may be used to develop an interconnection ordering template upon which providers can exchange all the information needed to ensure interconnection planning, testing, provisioning, and ordering of circuits / facilities leading to VoIP interoperability.
It is a component of a family of documents that taken as a whole provides an IP network to network interconnection (NNI) guideline that supports next generation service interoperability.
This Release 1.0 addresses Basic VoIP service, Basic VoIP service with DTMF support, and Basic VoIP service with T.38 Fax support, for native IP endpoints.
Post release 1.0 will address support for RPH as well as services and capabilities such as domestic mobile-to-mobile voice service interconnect over IP and international mobile and nomadic endpoints. Other services like wireline-TDM, managed peer-to-peer, mobile-to-mobile peering, IPTV, multimedia services, gaming, fixed-mobile service convergence, etc., may also be considered.
The ATIS NG-CI TRs cover four aspects of interconnection and this specific TR has three other companion TRs that together address VoIP services Interconnection over IP-based links/networks.
The companion TRs include the following:
• The "Protocol Suites" TR provides the service specific protocol requirements to support service interoperability. While the other documents in this Release 1.0 set make reference to the specifications covered, the "Protocol Suites" TR identifies the specific details of protocol elements to be tested.
• The "Test Suite" TR provides the tests used for IP NNI interconnection testing in order to support service interoperability.
• The "Test Configuration" TR provides the network interface configuration in order to support service interoperability.
Establishing and specifying the fixed protocol and configuration profiles, and the variable or selectable parameters that can then be applied uniformly and consistently for interconnects, will ensure a reliable level of conformance to a standard that supports the establishment of successful interoperability.
1. Due to the variety of security configurations and credentials possible between providers, the use of IPSEC or TLS to support signaling or media streams will be subject to agreement between those providers and will not be defined within this document.
2. The level of information presented here is intended to be sufficient to support interoperability testing events, however additional work will be required to develop actual test scripts based on the test scenarios, configurations and protocol suites presented
3. It is understood that test SIP device endpoint E.164 addresses will need to be exchanged prior to testing. SIP URIs converted from TEL URI format will be used to convey the E164 addresses. (See section of ATIS-1000009.2006 for example URIs.)
4. IPv4 is assumed unless otherwise stated.
5. The term Provider is used to generically represent all types of parties.