DoD Unified Capabilities (UC)
|Publication Date:||9 December 2010|
a. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5144.1 (Reference (a)) and the guidance in DoDD 8000.01 (Reference (b)):
(1) Establishes policy, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for: test; certification; acquisition, procurement, or lease (hereafter referred to as "acquisition"); effective, efficient, and economical transport; connection; and operation of DoD networks to support UC, as defined in the Glossary.
(2) Establishes the governing policy for UC products and services supported on DoD networks.
b. Incorporates and cancels DoDD 4640.13, DoD Instruction (DoDI) 4640.14, and DoDI 8100.3 (References (c), (d), and (e)).
a. This Instruction applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the Department of Defense (hereafter referred to collectively as the "DoD Components").
(2) DoD Component planning, investment, development,
acquisition, operations, and management of DoD networks to support
UC, independent of the mix of technologies (e.g.,circuit-switch
(3) UC support for authorized non-DoD users (e.g., combined or coalition partners and U.S. Government departments and agencies).
(4) Acquisition of services as described in DoDD 5000.01 (Reference (f)) and DoDI 5000.02 (Reference (g)).
b. This Instruction does NOT apply to:
(1) DoD Component acquisition programs governed by References (f) and (g) and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Instruction 3170.01G (Reference (h)), except as stated in subparagraph a.(4) of this section; however, the DoD Components are encouraged to use UC-certified products in developing acquisition programs, where appropriate.
(2) DoD cryptologic Special Compartmented Information systems and classified cryptologic products, pursuant to DoDI 8500.2 (Reference (i)).