CEN - EN 13977
Railway applications - Track - Safety requirements for portable machines and trolleys for construction and maintenance
|Publication Date:||1 February 2011|
|ICS Code (Construction of railways):||93.100|
|ICS Code (Equipment for railway/cableway construction and maintenance):||45.120|
This European Standard deals with the technical requirements to minimise the railway specific significant hazards of portable machines and trolleys intended for work on tracks as listed in Clause 4 which can arise during the commissioning, operation and maintenance of portable machines and trolleys when used as intended and under the conditions foreseen by the manufacturer. It does not deal with the performance of the machines, e.g. cutting, drilling, grinding.
This European Standard applies to portable machines and trolleys with rail wheels or rollers designed for work whilst on the track with nominal track gauges of 1 435 mm and 1 668 mm and clearance gauge as defined in Annex B1) including, e.g. cutting and drilling machines.
This European Standard does not apply to the additional hazards that may exist due to:
- the coupling together of trolleys;
- the towing or pushing of trolleys by other vehicles;
- the use of trolleys for the transportation of persons;
- self propelled rail wheeled machines, trolleys coupled to another towing vehicle;
- hazards due to laser systems. Other special vehicles used on railway tracks are dealt with in other European Standards, see Annex H. This European Standard does not apply to the following:
- requirements for quality of the work or performance of the machine;
- regulations defined by each infrastructure controller for portable machine and trolley operation which shall be the subject of negotiation between the user and the manufacturer;
- portable machines used from railway vehicles. This European Standard establishes the additional requirements for electromagnetic compatibility due to e.g. electronic components as well as for hazards due to vibration. This European Standard does not establish the additional requirements for the following:
- operation in severe conditions, e.g. extreme environmental conditions such as: high temperatures, corrosive environment, tropical environment, contaminating environments, strong magnetic fields;
- operation subject to special rules such as potentially explosive atmospheres;
- hazards occurring during decommissioning and/or recycling;
- hazards due to wind speed;
- hazards due to natural causes, e.g. earthquake, lightning, flooding, etc.
1) For portable machines and trolleys used on railway lines with a different clearance gauge to that defined in Annex B, special requirements concerning the clearance gauge are permitted to be applied.