ISO DIS 10993-18
Biological evaluation of medical devices - Part 18: Chemical characterization of medical device materials within a risk management process - Évaluation biologique
|Publication Date:||8 August 2018|
|ICS Code (Biological evaluation of medical devices):||11.100.20|
This document specifies a framework for the identification of biological hazards and the estimation and control of biological risks from material constituents, using a stepwise approach to the characterization of a medical device through:
- the identification of its materials of construction (medical device configuration);
- the characterization of the materials of construction via the identification and quantification of their chemical constituents (material composition);
- the characterization of the medical device for chemical substances that were introduced during manufacturing (e.g., mould release agents, process contaminants);
- the estimation of the potential of the medical device, or its materials of construction, to release chemical substances under clinical use conditions (extractables);
- The measurement of chemical substances released from a medical device under its clinical conditions of use (leachables).
This document may also be used for chemical characterization (e.g., the identification and/or quantification) of degradation products. Information on other aspects of degradation assessment are covered in ISO 10993-9, ISO 10993-13, ISO 10993-14 and ISO 10993-15.
The ISO 10993 series of standards is applicable when the material or medical device has direct or indirect body contact (see ISO 10993-1 for categorization by nature of body contact).
This document is intended for suppliers of materials and manufacturers of medical devices, to support a biological evaluation