Standard for the Qualification of Elevator Inspectors
|Publication Date:||11 October 2018|
Inspectors and Inspector Supervisors
This Standard includes requirements for the qualification, duties, and responsibilities of inspectors and inspector supervisors engaged in the inspection and testing of
(a) hoisting and lowering mechanisms, equipped with a car or platform, that move between two or more landings. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) elevators (ASME A17.1/CSA B44) and, in Canadian jurisdictions, special-purpose personnel elevators (CSA B311)
(2) platform and stairway chairlifts (ASME A18.1 or CSA B355)
(b) power-driven stairways and walkways for carrying persons between landings. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) escalators (ASME A17.1/CSA B44)
(2) moving walks (ASME A17.1/CSA B44)
(c) hoisting and lowering mechanisms equipped with a car that serves two or more landings and is restricted to the carrying of material by its limited size or limited access to the car.
This equipment includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) dumbwaiters (ASME A17.1/CSA B44)
(2) material lifts and dumbwaiters with automatic transfer devices (ASME A17.1/CSA B44)
(d) hoists and elevators (ANSI/ASSE A10.4 or CSA Z185) that are
(1) not an integral part of buildings
(2) installed inside or outside buildings or structures during construction, alteration, or demolition operations
(3) used to raise and lower workers and other personnel connected with or related to the structure
NOTE: Nonmandatory Appendix B also includes recommended qualifications and duties of inspector trainees.
Certification and Accreditation
Inspectors and inspector supervisors shall be certified in accordance with the requirements of this Standard. The organization that certifies the inspectors and inspector supervisors shall be accredited by an independent internationally or nationally recognized organization that accredits personnel certification bodies to ANSI/ISO/ IEC 17024, or its equivalent.
This Standard applies to any person who is making an inspection to determine compliance with the requirements of ASME A17.1/CSA B44, ASME A17.3, CSA B44.1/ASME A17.5, ASME A18.1 or CSA B355, and ANSI/ASSE A10.4 or CSA Z185. It applies to persons typically employed by, but is not limited to, the following:
(a) jurisdictional authorities
(b) independent inspection agencies and elevator consultants
(c) insurers of the equipment
(d) manufacturers, installers, and maintainers of the equipment
(e) building owners and managers
(f) testing laboratories performing field inspections and tests (see also para. 1.1.4)
This Standard does not cover personnel engaged in engineering and type testing as covered in Section 8.3 of ASME A17.1/CSA B44, Section 8 of ASME A18.1 or Appendix A of CSA B355, and CSA B44.1/ASME A17.5, including inspection by laboratories in association with these tests.