ULS - Subject 2683
|Publication Date:||17 September 2018|
1.1 These requirements cover indoor fixed electric heating systems for use on system voltages not exceeding 600 V.
1.2 The heating systems covered by this Standard are intended for installation in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, Article 424.
1.3 These requirements cover the following electric heating systems:
- a) Heating cable systems;
- b) Heating mat systems;
- c) Heating panel systems;
- d) Modular flooring heating systems; and
- e) Low voltage systems including power units.
- With the following types of insulated heating elements:
- f) Heating cable elements;
- g) Laminate elements; and
- h) Flat strip elements.
- Of the following types:
- i) Constant wattage elements;
- j) Self-regulating elements; and
- k) Low voltage elements.
1.4 These requirements cover electric heating systems permanently installed as follows:
- a) WOOD SUBFLOORS - Installed above (on top of) or under (adjacent to rafters or joists);
- b) CONCRETE SUBFLOORS - Installed above (on top of), inside (embedded), or under (in earth or sand bed);
- c) CEILINGS - Installed inside (embedded), above (attic or between floors of a building adjacent to ceiling rafters or joists), or under (room side);
- d) In WET LOCATIONS - Locations where the heating element may be subject to saturation with water after installation;
- e) Embedded systems;
- e) Underneath and in direct contact with floor coverings (non-embedded), while above wood or concrete subfloors;
- f) Modular flooring heating systems installed above wood or concrete subfloors; and
- g) Shower benches.
1.5 These requirements do not cover electric heating systems that are covered under the following standards:
- a) Electrical Resistance Heat Tracing for Commercial and Industrial Applications, UL 515;
- b) Movable and Wall- or Ceiling-Hung Electric Room Heaters, UL 1278;
- c) Fixed and Location-Dedicated Electric Room Heaters, UL 2021; and
- d) Electric Heating Appliances, UL 499.
1.6 These requirements do not cover the following products:
- a) Heating systems connected to the supply by use of a flexible cord with attachment plug;
- b) Heating systems that are portable or easily moved after installation;
- c) Heating systems with integral means of producing air flow;
- d) Heating systems intended for snow melting/deicing or pipe maintenance;
- e) Heating systems intended to be installed outdoors; and
- f) Heating systems intended to be installed in a dropped or suspended ceiling.
1.7 These requirements do not cover the use of electrical heating systems installed in environmental air-handling spaces.
1.8 These requirements do not cover surface burning characteristics performance requirements that may be required by building codes.