ETSI - EN 303 472
Environmental Engineering (EE); Energy Efficiency measurement methodology and metrics for RAN equipment
|Publication Date:||1 October 2018|
The present document specifies Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and associated measurement processes, which reflect the operational energy efficiency of the following digital cellular RAN equipment and supporting infrastructures:
• integrated BS;
• distributed BS;
• BS site.
Repeaters are not considered in the present document but are considered for further study (ffs).
Energy consumption of user equipment (UE) is outside the scope of the present document, however, how a user equipment (UE) affects a base station energy performance is considered for further study.
The KPIs specified:
• combine the energy consumption (in the form of electricity) with the volume of data processed;
• combine the energy consumption (in the form of electricity) with the coverage area served;
• are applicable to the above equipment and also, in certain cases, to the sites accommodating the equipment;
• are primarily intended for trend analysis - not to enable comparison between individual BSs unless the conditions of operation are "similar".
The present document specifies KPIs that are only applicable to BS sites supporting a single operator network. KPISs for shared BS and BS site between two operators or more is considered for further study.
The RAN equipment addressed by the present document supports the following RANs, amongst others, both individually and in combination:
• UTRA, WCDMA (IMT-2000 Direct Spread, W-CDMA, UMTS);
• E-UTRA, LTE (IMT-2000 and IMT advanced);
• GSM (IMT-2000 SC, Technology GSM/EDGE).
KPIs for future RAN technologies such as 5G will be considered for future version of the present document once appropriate specifications are completed.
The present document does not define target values for the energy consumption nor the energy efficiency of the equipment for which KPIs are specified.