ICC I-CODE IPMC COMM
I-Codes with Commentaries: IPMC – International Property Maintenance Code with Commentary
|Publication Date:||1 January 2009|
The provisions of this code shall apply to all existing residential and nonresidential structures and all existing premises and constitute minimum requirements and standards for premises, structures, equipment and facilities for light, ventilation, space, heating, sanitation, protection from the elements, life safety, safety from fire and other hazards, and for safe and sanitary maintenance; the responsibility of owners, operators and occupants; the occupancy of existing structures and premises, and for administration, enforcement and penalties.
• This section establishes the broad purpose of the code-to protect the public health, safety and welfare in both existing residential and nonresidential structures and on all existing premises.
Four specific areas are addressed in greater detail in subsequent sections:
• Establishing minimum maintenance standards for such elements as basic equipment, light, ventilation, heating, sanitation and fire safety.
• Fixing responsibility among owners, operators and occupants for following the code.
• Regulating the use of existing structures and premises.
• Providing for administration, enforcement and penalties.
These four categories provide communities with the tools to reduce risks created by deteriorated or unsafe buildings and help communities upgrade and maintain other existing structures.