Micro-Cellular Polyurethane Materials for Air, Dust, Noise, and Water Sealing
|Publication Date:||1 October 2018|
This specification defines the requirements of continuous cast Micro-Cellular cellular polyurethane materials based on polyether or polyester chemistry to be used as air, dust, light, and water seals or gaskets. These materials may also be used as isolators, rattle protection, covers for gaps and other suitable applications. These materials are typically die cut or slit-to-width from rolls of cast material, and may have pressure sensitive adhesive applied to one side.
• For molded, cast, and slab polyurethane foam for sound absorbing applications refer to GMW14196: Polyurethane Foams for Acoustic Applications.
• For elastomer polyurethane foams for sealing and vibration handling applications having a minimum of 15% bio-renewable and a minimum of 25% post automotive shredder residue, refer to GMW16515: Flexible Expanded Material for Air, Dust, Water Sealing and Noise Vibration Handling Applications.
• For slab/sheet polyurethane foam for Engine Compartment Sound Absorber (ESCA), refer to GMW16869.
Materials meeting the requirements in this specification will be comprised of two (2) classes and several types.
• Class I: Micro-Cellular polyurethane materials to be used for air, dust and light seals or rattle isolators.
• Class II: Micro-Cellular polyurethane materials to be used for water sealing, and must meet the water sealability requirements of this document at 50% compression.
Class II materials may also be used in applications where water sealing is not required (i.e., Class II materials may be used in Class I applications).
Material type will be determined according to the range of compression deflection at 25% compression. See Table 1.
Certain applications may require the use of an adhesive. If an adhesive is required, the adhesive backed material shall meet the specified engineering requirements (eSOR, Math data, drawing).
Symbols. Not applicable.
Typical applications include: air, dust, and light seals, water seals and gaskets, isolators and rattle protection, covers for gaps, topers, and other suitable applications.
To properly use this specification, the surface appearance (skin/no skin) and dimensions must be specified.
Recycled or Alternate Materials.
Recycled polyurethane materials or bio-based materials may be used for parts under this specification.