UL - 60335-2-3
UL Standard for Safety of Household and Similar Electrical Appliances, Part 2: Particular Requirements for Electric Irons
|Publication Date:||14 July 2004|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric dry irons and STEAM IRONS, including those with a separate water reservoir or boiler having a capacity not exceeding 5 l, for household and similar purposes, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
- additional requirements for pressure vessels may be specified by the national authorities responsible for the safety of pressure vessels.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
- ironers (IEC 60335-2-44);
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
1DV.1 D1 Modification of 1DV.1 of the UL part 1:
The articulate probe of figure 12DV shall replace the test finger of figure 1 for these products.
1DV.2 D2 Modification to add the following to the second paragraph of Clause 1 of the part 2:
These requirements apply to electric irons and CORDLESS IRONS rated 250 V or less. These irons are intended to be employed in accordance with the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70. Annex DVD of Part 1 provides examples of and references for regulatory requirements that may apply to appliances.
1DV.3 D2 Add the following to Note 101 of the part 2:
- additional requirements applicable to equipment intended for use in hazardous locations as defined in the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70, are not included in the standard.
1DV.4 D2 Add the following to Note 102 of the part 2:
- ironing machines, ironing presses, or other garment finishing appliances that are covered by the Standard for Garment Finishing Appliances, UL 141.
1.101DV D2 Addition to the part 2:
Values stated without parentheses are the requirement. Values in parentheses are explanatory or approximate information.