DODD 3200.14 VOL 1
Principles and Operational Parameters of the DoD Scientific and Technical Information Program (STIP): General Processes
|Publication Date:||15 October 2018|
a. Manual. This manual is composed of multiple volumes, each containing its own purpose. The purpose of the overall manual, in accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5134.01 (Reference (a)), is to reissue DoD Instruction (DoDI) 3200.14 (Reference (b)) as a DoD manual (DoDM). Its purpose is to implement policy, assign responsibilities, and prescribe procedures in accordance with DoDI 3200.12 (Reference (c)) to carry out the DoD STIP, and delineate the major elements of the DoD STIP, including the specific implementation of policy, responsibilities, principles, and operational parameters for each segment of that program.
b. Volume. This volume describes the principles, concepts, and procedural functions to ensure that DoD scientific and technical information (STI) is appropriately managed to enable scientific knowledge and technological innovations to be fully accessible to authorized recipients while applying appropriate safeguards to assure that the information is protected as necessary.
APPLICABILITY. This volume:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this volume as the "DoD Components").
(2) Science and technology (S&T) programs consisting of basic research, applied research, and advanced technology development programs, which are identified as budget activities (BAs) 1, 2, and 3, respectively, in Volume 2A, chapter 1 of DoD 7000 14-R (Reference (d)).
b. Does not apply to:
(1) DoD programs involving day-to-day operations the warfighter uses, unless required for scientific and technical analysis.
(2) DoD STI that the intelligence community produces.
(3) Signals intelligence and communications security information, as defined in DoDI O- 3115.07 and DoDI 8523.01 (References (e) and (f)).