DODD 5101.17E(D) CE-02
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECOVERY OF CHEMICAL WARFARE MATERIAL
|Publication Date:||31 August 2018|
Purpose: This issuance:
• Establishes roles and assigns responsibilities for the oversight, coordination, management, and execution of actions involving chemical warfare material (CWM) recovered within and outside the United States.
• Designates the Secretary of the Army as the DoD Executive Agent (EA) for the Recovered Chemical Warfare Material (RCWM) Program within the United States, in accordance with the authorities in the March 13, 1991, Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum and DoD Directive (DoDD) 5101.1.
• Authorizes the development of DoD issuances and other supporting guidance, as appropriate, for the DoD's RCWM Program.
APPLICABILITY. This issuance:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this issuance as the "DoD Components).
(2) Situations involving:
(a) Munitions and certain materials of interest, as defined in this issuance, that contain an unknown liquid fill and are recovered within the United States.
(b) Munitions and certain materials of interest, as defined in this issuance, that contain an unknown liquid fill and are recovered outside the United States.
(c) CWM of U.S. origin recovered outside of the United States.
(d) CWM of U.S. origin recovered within the United States (e.g., munitions response, explosives or munitions emergencies, range clearance).
(e) CWM not of U.S. origin recovered within or outside of the United States.
b. Does not apply to:
(1) Sea-disposed munitions, unless recovered;
(2) Riot control agents, after verification by non-intrusive assessment, pursuant to Section 1512 of Title 50, United States Code (U.S.C.);
(3) United States' declared stockpile of chemical agents (CAs) and munitions, in accordance with Section 1521 of Title 50, U.S.C; or
(4) Munitions and certain materials of interest, as defined in this issuance, in a nonpermissive environment.