Guide Specifications for the Design of Concrete Bridge Beams Prestressed with Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (CFRP) Systems
|Publication Date:||1 January 2018|
These guide specifications apply to the design of prestressed concrete beams constructed of normal weight concrete and prestressed by carbon fiberreinforced polymer (CFRP) prestressing systems. Unless otherwise specifically noted, these guide specifications are applicable to:
- Concrete components made of concrete with compressive strengths used for design from 5.0 to 15.0 ksi, inclusive.
- Pretensioned concrete beams.
- Bonded and unbonded internally post-tensioned concrete beams.
- Shear design of prestressed concrete bridge beams with only transverse steel reinforcement.
Unless amended herein, the existing provisions of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, Eighth Edition shall apply to the design of concrete beams prestressed with CFRP systems. References to articles in the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications (AASHTO LRFD Design) are those of the eighth edition. References to articles in the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Construction Specifications are those of the fourth edition.
The provisions of these guide specifications shall not be applied to:
- Design of anchorage zones for external CFRP post-tensioned strengthening systems.
- Design of partially prestressed concrete beams except that partial prestressing is allowed for posttensioned beams to resist the loads that are applied prior to application of the final post-tensioning.
- Segmental construction and prestressed concrete bridge beams curved in plan.
- Design for torsion.