DoD Scientific and Technical Information Program (STIP)
|Publication Date:||17 December 2018|
PURPOSE. This instruction, in accordance with the authority in Section 133a of Title 10 United States Code (U.S.C.) (Reference (a)), DoD Directive (DoDD) 5134.01 (Reference (ar)), and July 13, 2018, Deputy Secretary of the Memorandum (Reference (as)):
a. Reissues DoDD 3200.12 (Reference (b)) as a DoD instruction (DoDI) to establish policy, assign responsibilities, and prescribe procedures to carry out the DoD STIP consistent with the national science and technology policy and priorities described in section 6602 of Title 42, U.S.C. (Reference (c)).
b. Incorporates and cancels Directive-type Memorandum 17-002 (Reference (d)).
APPLICABILITY. This instruction:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this instruction as the "DoD Components").
(2) Science and technology programs consisting of basic research, applied research, and advanced technology development programs, which are identified as budget activities (BA) 1, 2, and 3, respectively, in Volume 2A, Chapter 1 of DoD 7000 14-R (Reference (e)).
b. Does not apply to:
(1) DoD programs involving day-to-day operations the warfighter uses unless required for scientific and technical analysis.
(2) DoD scientific and technical information the intelligence community produces.
(3) Signals intelligence and communications security information as defined in DoDI O-3115.07 and DoDI 8523.01 (References (f) and (g)).