CEI EN IEC 60079-0
Explosive atmospheres Part 0: Equipment - General requirements
|Publication Date:||1 November 2018|
|ICS Code (Electrical apparatus for explosive atmospheres):||29.260.20|
This part of IEC 6C079 specifies the general requirements for construction, testing and marking of Ex Equipment and Ex Components intended for use in explosive atmospheres.
The standard atmospheric conditions (Jrelating to the explosbn characteristics of the atmosphere) under which itmay be assumed that Ex Equipment can be operated are:
• temperature-20°Cto -60°C:
• pressure 80kPa (08bar) to 110kPa (1.1 bar): and
• air with normal oxygen content typically 21 % v/r.
This part of IEC 00079 and other stand a ids supplementing this standard specify additbnaI test requirements for Ex Equipment operating outside the standard temperature range, but further additional consiJeratbn and additional testing may be required for Ex Equipment operating outsije the standard atmospheric pressure range and standard oxygen content Such additional testing may be particularly relevant with respect to Types of Protection that depend on quenching of a flame such as 'flameproof enclosures "d"' (IEC 60079-1) or limitation of energy, intrinsic safety "i"' (IEC 60079-1).
NOTE 1 Aithoucfi tie standard atmospheric conditions above
NOTE 2 Requirement given in this standard result from an ignition hazard assessment made on equipment, me ignition sources taKen mt> account are those found associated wlti tils type of equipment, such as hot surfaces, electromagnetic radiation, mechanically generated sparKs. mechanical impact resuilng in tiermite reactions, electrical arcing and static electric discharge in normal Irtiustrial environments.
NOTE 3 Where an explosive gas atnosphere and a combustible dust atmosphere are. or can be, present at tie same tme, tie simultaneous presence of both often warrant additional protective measures. Additional guidance cn the use of Ex Equipment in hybrtd mixtures tfnixture of a flammable gas or vapour with a combustible dust or combustble flyings )ls given in IEC 60079-14.
IEC 60079does not specify requirements for safety, other than those directly related to the explosbn risk.
Ignition sources like adiabatic compression, shock waves, exothermb chemical reaction, self-ignition ofdust naked flames and hot gases liquids, are not addressed by this standard.
NOTE 4 AJthoucji outside the scope of this standard, such equipment would typically be subjected to a hazard analysis that Identifies and lists all of tie potential sources of ignition by the equipment and the measures to be applied to prevent tiem becoming eftectve. See ISO/IEC 60079-36
This document is supplemented ormodifbd by the following parts and technical specificatbns:
- IEC 60079-1: Gas - Flameproof enclosures "d";
-IEC 60079-2: Gas and dust - Pressurized enclosure "p":
-IEC 60079-5: Gas-Powder filling "q";
-IEC 60079-6: Gas-Liquid immersbn "o":
-IEC 60079-7: Gas-Increased safety "e":
-IEC 60079-11:Gasanddust -Intrinsic safety "i":
-IEC 60079-13 Gas and dust -Equipment protectionbypressuri
- IEC 60079-15 Gas - Type of protection "n";
-IEC 60079-18 Gas and dust -Encapsulation "m":
-IEC 60079-25 Gas and dust-Intrinsically safe electrical systems
-IEC 60079-23 Gas - Equipmentwith equipment protection level(EPL) Ga
-IEC 60079-28 Gas and dust - Protection of equipment and transmission systems using optical radiation
- IEC 60079-29-1: Gas detectors - Performance requirements of detectors for flammable gases
- IEC 60079-23-4: Gas detectors - Performance requirements of open path detectors for flammable gases
- IEC/IEEE 60079-30-1: Gas and dust - Electrical resistance trace heating - General and testing requirements.
-IEC 60079-31:Dust - Protection by enclosure "t",
-IEC 60079-33Gas and dust - Special protection "s"
- IEC 60079-35-1: Caplqhts for use in mines susceptible to firedamp - General requirements - Construction and testing in relation to the risk of explosion
- IEC TS 60079-39 Gas - Intrinsically safe systems with electronically controlled spark duration limitation
- IEC TS 600794-40 Gas - Requirements for process sealing between flammabte process fluids and electrical systems
- ISO 80079-36 Gas and dust - Non-electricaI equipment for explosive atmospheres - Basic method and requirements
This document along with the additional parts of IEC 60079 mentioned above, is not applicabte to the construction of
• etectromedicaI apparatus,
• shot-firing exploders.
• testdevioes for exploders, and
• shot-firing circuits.