Clearance of DoD Information for Public Release
|Publication Date:||25 January 2019|
Purpose: This issuance reissues the 2008 directive as a DoD instruction in accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5105.82 and the February 1, 2018 Secretary of Defense Memorandum to establish policy an assign responsibilities for the security and policy review process for the clearance of official DoD information proposed for official public release by the DoD and its employee.
a. This issuance applies to OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this issuance as the "DoD Components").
b. This issuance does not apply for provisions governing review of:
(1) Prepared statements, transcripts of testimony, questions for the record, inserts for the record, budget documents, and other material provided to congressional committees that may be included in the published records in accordance with DoD Instruction (DoDI) 5400.04.
(2) Information before publication or disclosure by DoD contractors in accordance with DoD 5220.22-M and Volumes 1-4 of DoD Manual (DoDM) 5200.01.
(3) Official information in litigation in accordance with DoDD 5405.2.
(4) Release of official DoD information to media organizations in accordance with DoDD 5122.05.
(5) Release of visual imagery, captured by DoD personnel on personal equipment, to media organizations in accordance with DoDI 5040.02.
(6) Release of information requested pursuant to Section 552 of Title 10, United States Code (U.S.C.) (also known as "the Freedom of Information Act") and Section 552 of Title 10, U.S.C. (also known as "the Privacy Act").