DODD 5505.18 CE-02
INVESTIGATION OF ADULT SEXUAL ASSAULT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
|Publication Date:||31 January 2019|
Purpose: This issuance, in accordance with DoD Directive (DoDD) 5106.01:
• Establishes policy, assigns responsibilities, and provides procedures for the investigation of adult sexual assault within the DoD, in accordance with the authority in the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended, of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Appendix.
• Establishes the processes and procedures for the use, maintenance, and protection of certain information from a Restricted Report of adult sexual assault obtained by the military criminal investigative organizations (MCIOs) after the victim has elected to provide such information, but without affecting the restricted nature of the report, in accordance with Section 543 of Public Law 113- 291.
• Establishes an exception to the initiation of an adult sexual assault investigation by an MCIO when information is received in accordance with Section 543 of Public Law 113-291 and clarifies eligibility.
• Incorporates a threshold of credible information, as defined in DoD Instruction (DoDI) 5505.07, for the initiation of an adult sexual assault investigation and a DoD nexus, as defined in DoDI 5505.03.
• Implements Executive Order 13825, effective January 1, 2019, and updates the definition of sexual assault.
APPLICABILITY. This issuance applies to OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense (IG DoD), the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this issuance as the "DoD Components").