GUIDE FOR THE INVESTIGATION OF PLANT OIL EXTRACTION EQUIPMENT
|Publication Date:||1 March 2019|
|ICS Code (Electrical apparatus for explosive atmospheres):||29.260.20|
These requirements cover commercial or industrial plant oil extraction equipment for installation in accordance with CSA C22.1, Canadian Electrical Code Part 1 - Safety Standard for Electrical Installations (CE Code), CSA B149.1 Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code, and the National Fire Code of Canada, together with the manufacturer's installation instructions.
This plant oil extraction equipment includes:
a) Plant oil extractors - These plant oil extractors are complete closed loop pneumatically operated equipment, with electrical features such as for heating, cooling and illumination. This equipment has a maximum capacity of 227 L (60 G) of plant oil, and uses butane or LP-Gas to extract the plant oils as indicated in the instruction manual provided with each unit. Installation may be in a distinct room that is part of a commercial or industrial building, or in a prefabricated plant oil extraction booth.
b) Prefabricated plant oil extraction booths - These prefabricated booths (including modified shipping containers, or "pods") are for installation in a distinct room that is part of a commercial or industrial building, and incorporate the following attributes:
1) The area within these booths is classified as either a Zone 1, Group IIA or Class I, Division 1, Group D hazardous location in accordance with the CE Code, and the area outside these booths around openings is classified as a Zone 2, Group IIA or Class I, Division 2, Group D hazardous location for a distance of 1.0 m in all directions in accordance with the CE Code, as applicable.
2) The plant oil extraction equipment enclosed by these booths use solvents such as liquid butane or liquid propane.
3) These booths are provided with integral electrical equipment and factory-provided interconnections for electrical equipment that are suitable for the area classification.
4) This integral equipment may include control panels, power distribution, illumination, ventilation, vapor detection/alarming equipment, and fire extinguishing equipment, as applicable.
5) Suitable ingress/egress are provided for authorized personnel to operate, service and maintain the intended plant oil extraction process equipment enclosed by the booths.
c) Plant oil extraction systems - Plant oil extraction systems involve any combination of plant oil extraction equipment needed for the overall extraction process.
These products, when intended for installation in hazardous (classified) locations are marked accordingly.
The requirements in this ORD do not cover the physiological or other attributes or effects that may result from the use of this equipment.