Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-17: Particular requirements for blankets, pads, clothing and similar flexible heating appliances
|Publication Date:||1 March 2019|
|ICS Code (Small kitchen appliances):||97.040.50|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric blankets, pads, clothing and other flexible appliances that heat the bed or human body, for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
This standard also applies to control units supplied with the appliance.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used in beauty parlours or by persons in cold ambient temperatures, are within the scope of this standard.
Requirements and tests for clothing are given in Annex CC.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 101 Children are considered to be old enough to use an appliance without supervision when they have been adequately instructed by a parent or guardian and are deemed competent to use the appliance safely.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- rigid bed warmers, such as those of metal or ceramic material;
- water bed heaters (IEC 60335-2-66);
- heating appliances for breeding and rearing animals (IEC 60335-2-71);
- foot warmers and heating mats (IEC 60335-2-81);
- appliances specifically intended for use under medical supervision (IEC 60601-2-35).