DoD Law Enforcement Officers (LEOs) Flying Armed
|Publication Date:||20 May 2019|
In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive 5143.01 (Reference (a)) and June 29, 2018 Deputy Secretary of Defense approval of the Under Secretaries of Defense for Personnel and Readiness and Intelligence Memorandum (Reference (b)), this Instruction establishes policy, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures for DoD LEOs flying armed (LEOFAs) aboard commercial aircraft in accordance with the guidance in section 1544.219 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) (Reference (c)).
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the DoD (IG DoD), the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (hereafter referred to collectively as the "DoD Components").
(2) DoD Component LEOs as defined in the Glossary.
(3) Flight on commercial aircraft.
b. Does NOT apply to DoD personnel not considered to be DoD Component LEOs or Federal LEOs and not authorized to fly armed:
(1) Security officers (military and civilian in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Handbook of Occupational Groups and Families, GS 0080 series (Reference (d)) or Civilian Security Guards (GS 0085 series of Reference (d)).
(2) Antiterrorism and force protection officers (military and civilian security officers, in accordance with GS 0080 series of Reference (d)).
(3) Counterintelligence officers who are not also DoD Component LEOs.
(4) Corrections specialists who are not LEOs in the DoD as defined in the Glossary.