Offshore and platform lifting appliances
|Publication Date:||1 July 2019|
This standard covers the design, materials, fabrication, installation, testing and commissioning of offshore cranes, platform cranes and pipe/cable laying systems.
The categorization of lifting appliances is based on installation and intended function for the lifting appliance:
a) Offshore cranes:
- lifting appliances on board vessels (including wind turbine installations) intended for load handling outside vessels while at open sea.
b) Platform cranes:
- lifting appliances onboard offshore units/installations intended for load handling within and outside the unit/installation while in harbour and sheltered waters and within the unit/installation while at sea.
c) Pipeline and cable laying equipment:
- equipment onboard vessels intended for pipeline (rigid pipe and flexible pipe) and cable (cable and umbilicals) laying, retrieving and maintenance operations while at open sea.
Cranes intended for operating from an offshore unit/installation in jacked up condition to other fixed installation are categorized as platform crane.
Each lifting appliance has its separate intended functions. Examples of intended functions are, but not limited to:
- cargo handling within deck area on board offshore units/installations
- loading and discharging of offshore supply vessels
- launch and recovery of diving systems
- launch and recovery of ROV
- loading and discharging from sea or sea bed
- personnel handling
- pipeline and cable laying, retrieving and maintenance operations.
Requirements presented herein are minimum requirements to be satisfied, although subject to acceptance by the Society, other minimum requirements may be agreed e.g. based on new technology available at the time of application for certification.
The requirements of this standard may be supplemented with additional requirements where installation of specific design or assessment shows that standards that provides equivalent or higher level of integrity and safety are more appropriate.
The standard consists of a three-level hierarchy of documents.
General principles (This section and section 2)
Technical provisions (Sec.3-Sec.14)
Examples and sound engineering practice (App.A-App.G)