Wind Loading of Overhead Line Equipment and Structures
|Publication Date:||7 September 2019|
This standard defines the requirements for wind and ice loads for the design of overhead line equipment, structures, and foundations.
The wind loading from this standard applies to the design and assessment of structures and foundations for overhead line equipment. This includes ranges of standard designs, allocation of standard designs and bespoke designs.
This standard should be used in particular by Designers, Assessment Engineers, Allocation Designers and Project Engineers.
This standard enables Network Rail to achieve economy, safety and performance in the design of overhead line equipment, structures and foundations.
Guidance is provided on the application of design to the structural Eurocodes, as well as supplementary information to the application of BS EN 50119:2009.
The relevant national standard transposing a European standard is BS EN 50119:2009. NR/L2/CIV/072 has the following relationship with BS EN 50119:2009:
a) the scope corresponds with BS EN 50119:2009 sections 6.2.4, 6.2.5 and 6.2.6 for wind loads, ice loads, and combined wind and ice loads respectively;
b) NR/L2/CIV/072 provides supplementary information which is required to apply BS EN 50119:2009 sections 6.2.4, 6.2.5 and 6.2.6 to Network Rail infrastructure. Therefore NR/L2/CIV/072 takes precedence over BS EN 50119:2009 sections 6.2.4, 6.2.5 and 6.2.6;
c) the purchaser specification referred to in BS EN 50119:2009 should be taken as NR/L2/CIV/072, supplemented by project specific contract requirements;
d) as permitted by BS EN 50119:2009, NR/L2/CIV/072 provides these decisions:
1) values where alternative values or informative values only are given in BS EN 50119: 2009, including values which may be provided in the purchaser specification;
2) country specific data including detail of ice and wind loads;
3) procedures to be used where alternative procedures are given in BS EN50119:2009;
4) non-contradictory complementary information to assist the user to apply the standard. NR/L2/CIV/072 can be used without direct reference to BS EN 50119:2009.
The purchaser specification referred to in BS EN 50119 should be taken as NR/L2/CIV/072.
This standard is one of a suite of Civil Engineering Electrification standards for overhead line equipment:
• NR/L2/CIV/072 Wind Loading of Overhead Line Equipment and Structures
• NR/L2/CIV/073 Design of Overhead Line Structures
These standards implement the structural Eurocodes EN 1990 to EN 1999 for structural design of Overhead Line Equipment structures including foundations.
NOTE Where figures and tables are reproduced from the structural Eurocodes, they are repeated for information only. They are:
BS EN 1991-1-4: Figures 1, 2, and 3
UK NA to BS EN 1991-1-4: Figures A.1, A.2, A.3, A.4, A.5, A.6 and Table 2.
BS EN 50119: Figures 5 and 6.