Inspection and evaluation of non-metallic seals
|Publication Date:||1 September 2019|
This RP provides a test procedure and evaluation criteria for the inspection of non-metallic seals used in oilfield equipment. The RP also includes the inspection of seal grooves, mating surfaces, anti-extrusion devices, springs, wedge rings and other similar parts of the seal design.
The RP states:
- guidelines for the inspection and testing of non-metallic seals used in service
- design and qualification-data requirements for evaluations
- service history and performance-data requirements for evaluations
- methods and guidelines for evaluating inspection results
- reporting guidelines.
Description of non-metallic seals
The non-metallic seals covered in this RP are made from polymer materials of either thermoplastic or elastomer type. These seals are also referred to as soft seals. The seals may have any geometry or size. The seal material may be any type of thermoplastic or elastomer compound, or a combination thereof, with any type of filler, reinforcement or inlay, including metal inlays or springs.
Supplement to other standards and RPs
This RP may be used as a supplement to the DNV GL standards and RPs listed in Table 1-3 and Table 1-4.
Structure of the RP
The RP is divided into four major parts:
- The first part describes the RP itself, its introduction, philosophy and scope.
- The second part is the test procedure.
- The third part describes how to evaluate the inspection and test results.
- The fourth part describes reporting.
A link between the main parts and the actual sections of the RP is given in Table 1-2.